Sunday, January 24, 2010

Yummy Taco Burgers

I'm so excited about our dinner that I had to post right away. I haven't made beef burgers at home in a really long time. We eat ground turkey whenever we can because it agrees with my tummy a lot more and it is much healthier. I saw this recipe on A Taste of Home Cooking (recipe originally from Vintage Victuals) and thought it might be just the recipe to bring me back to home beef burgers. I loved that it was simple, but brought in some of the Mexican flavors we love, and it was a great opportunity for me to make my tasty homemade guacamole. I made a couple of changes. I omitted the egg (I didn't want to figure out how to divide it, since I made 1/3 of the original recipe, plus I don't like what it does to the texture) and I added about a 1/4 cup of chopped green onions to add some moisture to the mix to make up for the egg. I used a taco seasoning that was from Whole Foods and had no salt, but I added a little extra to my guacamole and that worked out great. I will probably use more taco seasoning next time (I used about a Tablespoon). These were particularly special because I grilled them up on our new cast iron grill! What a treat!

Taco Burgers
(original recipe for 4 burgers, I made 2)
1 packet of dry taco seasoning (I used a Tbs)
1.5 lbs. ground beef (I Used 1/2 lb 93% Lean)
1 egg, lightly beaten (I omitted and added 1/4 cup chopped green onion)
4 slices cheddar or cheddar jack cheese (I used 2 slices cheddar)
4 buns (I used 2 whole wheat buns)
Red onion sliced (I omitted)
Guacamole (I used about 1/4 of my original recipe shown here)
In a medium bowl, combine taco seasoning, ground beef, and green onions lightly until completely combined. Divide the meat into two equal patties.
Grill the patties to desired done-ness, topping with sliced cheese during the last 2 minutes of grilling. Grill the buns, too (We both agreed the grilling of the buns was required. Soggy buns would be a tragedy here!). Place a patty on each bun, and top with guacamole. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You got an award on my blog! http://leahsblogisawesome.blogspot.com/2010/02/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete