Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homemade Brownies

I have always classified myself as more of a cooker than a baker. Most of my baking has been of the boxed mix variety. One of the best things about the blogging world is that I have found so many inspiring baking recipes to try out. I decided to make these after a discussion board I frequent was questioning the best brownie box mix on the market. Most said that Ghirardelli brownie mix is the best, but so many also said that making from scratch is so easy that they haven't tried mixes in a long time. I thought - Easy, Chocolatey and homemade goodness? Perfect! I found this recipe on Hershey's website and it really was very easy. I made this while my houseguests were napping and by the time they woke up, it was brownie time! I don't think I'll ever make a boxed mix again. These really didn't take much more time, and the result was a delicious brownie with a perfect texture - not too rich, not too dry, and not oily like I sometimes find the boxed mixes to be. These were a hit with my houseguests and were also a hit with the bike shop when I made another batch a week later. I think I might be inspired to bake a lot more now (hmmm, maybe I need a Kitchenaid Mixer?)!



Homemade Brownies (from Hershey's Kitchens)
3/4 cup butter, melted
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 eggs
3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 cup unsweetened baking Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Optional: 1 cup chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch chips
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Combine butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl. Add eggs; beat well with spoon. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended. Add chips and mix well (optional). Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
3. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. About 16 brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment