Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Fancy Soup for a Sick Husband

We were so excited in November for our annual anniversary trip to Solvang (yes, I'm just blogging from November, don't judge).  We had a great hotel booked, we had booked a limo for wine-tasting (since we both taste, we always get a designated driver of some sort), and we were really looking forward to our chosen restaurants.  The day before we were scheduled to leave, my husband broke the news: he was really not feeling well.  We went back & forth, but decided to go on our trip, just cancelling the alcohol portions of the trip.  More to follow on Solvang.  The night before we left, I knew that my husband would want soup for dinner, but I really wanted to start celebrating and didn't want to heat up Campbells Soup.  I decided to go with this Tortellini Soup with Beans and Spinach, which I saw on both Annie's Eats and Elly Says Opa and adapted to my needs.  By adding hot Italian Turkey Sausage instead of the beans, this soup had a real kick that was perfect for my husband's cold, but was really hearty as well.  I think beans and sausage would be great, too (I forgot the beans).  I was sorry that I had to make it under these circumstances, but it was a tasty new recipe!
 


Tortellini Soup with Sausage and Spinach
1/2 lb hot Italian Turkey Sausage
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 quart low sodium chicken stock
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
Oregano, basil, Italian Seasoning, to taste
1 small package fresh tortellini
1 bag fresh baby spinach
Cook sausage in olive oil in large stock pot until no longer pink.  Push to the sides of the pan and add onion, cooking until just golden.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil.  Add spices and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add tortellini and cook about 7 minutes or until tender.  Turn off heat and stir in spinach until just wilted.  Serve immediately, topped with parmesan cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment