Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Book #14 - Sula by Toni Morrison

I've wanted to read a Toni Morrison book for a while now, but didn't want to pick up one of her longer ones only to find that I didn't like her writing style. I was very happy to find Sula in my local library. The story of the difference between two best friends - one growing up to be the good wife, one growing up to be a scandalous woman - really sparked my interest, and the story was short enough that I knew I could get through it even if I didn't like the style. Sprinkled throughout the story are undertones of racism during the time of the depression. Central to the theme was the idea of whether or not your upbringing and background creates your destiny. I enjoyed this book, and more importantly, found Toni Morrison's style to be fascinating. She paints such pictures with her words that normally, I would find her style to be overly flowery, but she still captivates with a fascinating story. I'm looking forward to reading "Beloved," which I will be reading in the next couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment