Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Southwestern Turkey Meatball Skillet

This recipe was on the cover of my October 2011 Clean Eating Magazine and I knew right away that I wanted to make it.  It made it onto the menu within a couple weeks of receiving it (yes, I'm THAT behind on blogging).  I subscribe to a few magazines, but rarely actually make recipes directly from the publications, chosing instead to just draw inspiration from my reading.  So making an actual magazine recipe is a big deal.  I decided to half the recipe, knowing that a pound of ground turkey would be way too much.  As I went along, following the recipe but halving each item, I started adding extra spices to the mix, because the straight up turkey meatballs seemed a little plain.  The only trouble I ran into was in my "winging it" mode, I accidentally went a little gung ho with the egg whites and added both for my half recipe!  I tried scooping out some of the excess and then added more bread crumbs - it seemed to work pretty well.  We enjoyed the flavors of this and both agreed the extra spices were quite needed.  The only complaint that the husband had was that he thought it needed a "cream sauce."  Since there is no way that he would actually ask for a cream sauce usually, I think he was really asking for more fat in these very lean meatballs.  This is a recipe I will try again with a little tweaking.








Southwest Meatballs with Warm Corn-Black Bean Salsa (from Clean Eating Magazine October 2011)
1 lb ground turkey breast
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I added)
1/2 tsp ground oregano (I added)
1 tsp cumin (I added)
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup frozen yellow or white corn
1 15oz can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups diced vine ripened tomatoes
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbs fresh lime juice
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (I omitted)

In large bowl, combine turkey, egg whites, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and mix well.  Shape into 16 meatballs, each about the size of a golf ball

In a large skillet, heat oil on medium high.  Add meatballs and cook for 3-5 minutes, turning frequently until browned on all sides.  Add corn, beans, tomatoes, broth, lime juice and cumin and mix well.  Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and cook an additional 3-5 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.  Stir in cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment