Monday, January 9, 2012

Spicy French Dip Sandwiches

I hear it all the time in the blog world: "I wish I could use my slow cooker more often, it is so convenient!"  But often, bloggers don't like the "cream of..." soups that go with a lot of slow cooker meals.  When I saw this recipe on Cooking With Christen, I knew it had potential.  I stuck with the original recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking because I loved how simple it was - Beef, Peperoncinis... that's it!  After the recipe finished up and I gave it a quick taste test, I also added about a teaspoon of Tabasco sauce to spice it up to our tastes.  This was a good recipe, but if I make it again, it will be for a crowd, as it was way too much food for just the two of us, and I can't eat that much beef anyway because I get a "stomach full of anger" (thank you Tour de France racer Andy Schleck for that awesome and totally unrelated to digestion quote!).

Peperoncini Beef Sandwiches (from A Year of Slow Cooking via Cooking with Christen)
2 lbs Beef Chuck Roast
1 16 oz jar whole peperoncini peppers
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
6 Slices cheese (mozzarella, swiss, or provolone as shown here)
12 slices toasted bread or 6 toasted sandwich rolls

Place beef and entire contents of pepper jar into 4-6 quart slow cooker.  Cook all day (8+ hours) on low setting.  Add Tabasco if needed.  Shred meat with 2 forks.  Dish onto bread and top with cheese.  If cheese needs help melting, place open sandwich in toaster oven on broil for about 30 seconds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment