Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Breakfast for Dinner - Oatmeal Pancakes

My husband loves breakfast. He could eat really big breakfasts at any time of the day. Unfortunately for him, my appetite and sleep patterns don't often allow for me to make him big breakfasts in the morning. Fortunately for him, I enjoy breakfast for dinner! It reminds me of when my Daddy was in charge of making dinner and would make us breakfast for dinner and would plate it so that our eggs, bacon and toast looked like a clown. These pancakes are especially good for breakfast for dinner because they are very filling, but quite good for you. I got to take advantage of the fresh fruit that I found at the farm stand (It costs a lot of money to live in Santa Barbara, but darn it, we have great fruit stands!). Yes, these are fresh berries in January:


The recipe is an award winning heart-healthy recipe from my sister-in-law. She got an article in her local paper written about her for coming up with this recipe, and we really love it! I haven't tried these with banana, but the rest of the mix-ins are great. I would recommend using the strawberries as a topping rather than a mix in, however, as my strawberries usually start to burn before the pancake is done cooking.


Oatmeal Pancakes
1 Cup Quick Oats
1 Cup Lowfat Buttermilk
1 Egg or 3 Egg Whites
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
Mix Oats & Buttermilk in a small bowl, cover & refrigerate overnight.Mix egg & vanilla in a bowl, add oats mixture. Add Remaining ingredients. Add more buttermilk if too thick. Prepare as normal pancakes on a hot griddle.
Optional mix ins or toppers:Fresh Blueberries (1/2 cup)Sliced Strawberries (1/2 cup)Sliced Banana (1 banana)Semi-Sweet chocolate mini chips (1/2 cup)
Nutrition info for 3 pancakes with no toppings or mix-ins: Calories: 142, Fat: 2.7 (.7 Sat, .8 Poly, .8 Mono), Carbs: 22.6, Fiber: 3.2

No comments:

Post a Comment