Thursday, January 29, 2009

Crockpot Salsa Chicken

Tonight was another gym night, so I got this salsa chicken recipe going in the crockpot. It is based on a recipe from Sparkrecipes, which is a great free site that helps to calculate nutrition info. and share healthy recipes with others. The first time we tried this recipe, we didn't really like the taco seasoning flavor, so I decided to make my own. I also prefer cream of celery over cream of mushroom, and I love beans in crockpot dishes, so I came up with my own version below. Served over white rice, this hit the spot tonight, especially for my poor husband, who was so busy he didn't eat much lunch today and then went to the gym with me.


Crockpot Salsa Chicken
2 Chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 Jar of salsa
1 can reduced fat cream of celery soup
1 can black beans
Mix of Paprika, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper
2 cups hot cooked rice

Coat chicken in your spice mixture to your tastes. Place into crockpot with salsa, cream of celery soup and black beans. Stir gently, cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with hot rice. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Info for entire meal: Calories: 339.2, Fat: 2.6g (.9 Sat, .8 Poly, .6 Mono), Carbs: 60.6g, Fiber: 7.7g

No comments:

Post a Comment