Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Grilled Glazed Asparagus

Asparagus has always been one of my favorite vegetables. I even liked the canned stuff as a kid (although that was back in the day when any vegetable dipped in butter or mayo tasted awesome). As an adult, I love it when asparagus is featured as a side dish at a fancy restaurant, whether steamed, roasted or (especially) grilled. As I've tried making fancier dinners at home, I've perfected my own version of grilled asparagus that I love as much as the restaurant version. This is completely my own, based on flavors that I enjoy. Marinating this kind of vegetable may seem a little weird, but the "treetops" absorb the liquid nicely, allowing for a little liquid to penetrate the entire stalk with flavor. I recommend grilling until each stalk has a little give, but still keeps its shape when held horizontally (see picture).


Grilled Glazed Asparagus
1 bunch asparagus
5 Tbs Soy Sauce
1 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbs Honey
1 tsp sesame oil
Combine all ingredients except asparagus in ziploc bag and mix with fingers until honey is well blended. Add Asparagus and allow to marinate for about 15-20 minutes. Grill on medium high heat or until asparagus starts to brown and reaches the appropriate tenderness. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Info. for 1 serving: Calories: 44.1, Fat: 1.3g (.2 Sat, .3 Poly, .6 Mono), Carbs: 6.4g, Fiber: 1.4g

No comments:

Post a Comment