Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pressure Cooker Pork Tacos

This is my husband's favorite meal. We don't have it very often because it takes a long time to make (even with the pressure cooker), it isn't exactly healthy, and we tend to eat a lot of it because we love it so much. My husband says "I don't care how unhealthy they are, these are damn good!" The recipe is from my in-laws, and I wasn't an official member of the family until I could not only make these well, but also chow down on many, many tacos. I am proud to say that I have now achieved the status of "Mom-Quality" tacos.



Pressure Cooker Pork Tacos
Step 1 Ingredients:
2 lbs Pork Chops, fat removed & diced into 1" pieces
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup water

Place above ingredients in pressure cooker. Once pressure regulator is gently rocking, cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow pressure to release of its own accord. Remove pressure cooker lid and shred pork until it looks like this:


Step 2 Ingredients:
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 - 3/4 tsp of ground red pepper (cayenne)

Add Step 2 ingredients and mix well. Stir well and allow to simmer on medium low for about an hour or until nearly all the liquid is absorbed into the meat. Serve with soft shelled tortillas and usual taco toppings (traditional for my inlaws include shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, but extended friends & family like cheese and sour cream). Makes about 6 servings of 2 tacos (but good luck stopping at 2!).
Nutrition Information for pork taco filling with no tortillas or toppings: Calories: 293.5, Fat: 16.5g (5.7 Sat, 1.8 Poly, 7.3 Mono), Carbs: 3.1g, Fiber: .7g

No comments:

Post a Comment