Sunday, March 1, 2009

Book #5 - Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky

I picked this book up at Costco without having heard anything about it before. Total judgment of a book by its cover, but the description on the back of a white couple who unexpectedly give birth to a black baby intrigued me. This was an interesting look at how we look at ancestry, race, and the definition of family. I liked that the author did not shy away from some of the really deep issues with race that we still have in this country. I thought she bordered on lecturing in some instances, though, and it really bothered me that the more accepting, less racist characters used the description "African American" more often and the "bad guys" seemed to use the word "Black." I thought that while researching the context of this story that the author would have learned that Black is acceptable terminology and is often more accurate than African American, especially for this book in which ancestry for the baby had not been determined at all. Other than that, it was a quick read that brought up some issues that I find relevant to todays society.

No comments:

Post a Comment