Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cake Balls for Father's Day!

I have been enamored with the Bakerella site for a while. I can't believe the creativity of this woman, especially with her cake balls, cupcake bites and cupcake pops. I don't pretend to be a baker, but this technique seemed to be something I could handle. Store bought cake mix & frosting plus candy coating from Michael's? I can do this! I stuck to the cake balls, since I had heard the pops could be a little tricky. I'm glad I did, since I had a few little kinks to work out and would have been bummed if I had started with the pops first (the balls allow a lot more room for error). I decided to make these for Father's Day, and since I had taken the child I mentor to a pottery painting shop, I had a vessel for delivery that was perfect (see below). I also made a couple boxes for the rest of my family, the kid I mentor, and the bike shop. These should be treated as controlled substances. They are that good, and they aren't exactly good for you, but I guess they are good for the soul! Already my mom and my aunt in Indiana have made them this week, so I guess I made an impression!

Cake Balls (from Bakerella)
1 box cake mix with all ingredients - I used Chocolate
Nearly 1 tub frosting (regular, not whipped) - I used Chocolate
Chocolate candy melts or chocolate bark (from craft store or Kroger)

Prepare cake as directed. Allow to cool completely (very important). Crumble cake into a large mixing bowl until all consistent and the texture of soil. Mix in almost all of the frosting container and press with the back of a large spoon until cake is well incorporated with the frosting and all is one consistency. I chilled the bowl for about 30 minutes at this point. Using a small scoop or a teaspoon, scoop out enough mixture to make about a one inch ball. Roll to even ball. Set onto a waxed piece of paper on a cookie sheet and chill in the fridge for another 30 minutes. Melt chocolate in a deep plastic bowl in the microwave (or use double boiler) according to package directions (be sure to follow the power level directions or you will ruin the chocolate!). Working quickly, drop balls one at a time into the chocolate and drizzle over the top with a large spoon. I removed from the chocolate with two forks and allowed to dry on the wax paper. Depending on your method and/or size of the balls, you can make anywhere between 40-80 balls. The balls are counter safe and do not need to be refrigerated. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Cake balls are so addicting - They're so easy to pop in your mouth! These came out great!!

    ReplyDelete