Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mexican Chicken & Rice Casserole

I'm a big fan of casseroles. They are comforting, often one dish wonders, and tend to be food that everyone enjoys. One type of casserole that I've always liked the concept of is the standard "Campbell's Chicken & Rice Casserole." The only problem with this is that I really don't like cream of chicken soup. I'm not picky in regards to the "cream of xxx" soups, it is really just the cream of chicken that grosses me out. So when my sister in law introduced me to the Campbell's "Southwestern" style condensed soups, I was really excited and promptly made a chicken & rice casserole using Chicken Chile Verde soup and various other Southwestern flavors. It was really tasty and we ate it frequently until Campbell's discontinued the line of soups. It has been a few years, and I decided I needed to come up with a substitute. By only using 1/2 a can of cream of chicken and adding diced peppers and sour cream, I was able to recreate the recipe. I do realize that the zucchini doesn't really fit in with the Southwestern theme, but that is the best part about making up your own recipes - you can do whatever you feel like!

Mexican Chicken & Rice Casserole (my recipe, inspired by Campbell's Chicken & Rice Casserole)
2 6 oz chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
1 medium zucchini, sliced
Spices - even amounts of cumin, paprika, garlic powder and Chile powder to coat chicken (I used Chipotle Chile Powder this time and it was fantastic!)
3/4 cup long grain white rice
1/2 can of cream of chicken soup (I used low fat)
3 Tbs Sour Cream (I used low fat)
1 4 oz can diced chili peppers (mild)
1 cup picante sauce (I used medium)
1/2 cup water
1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tsp olive oil
Cook spice coated chicken in skillet with heated oil until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add to 2 quart casserole dish. Add zucchini to skillet and saute until golden. Add to casserole dish. Mix remaining ingredients into casserole dish. Bake in 375 oven, covered. Remove cover, stir and top with cheese. Return to oven uncovered and cook for 5 more minutes until cheese is melted & bubbly.
(Nutrition info. to return soon - I'm lazy right now)

No comments:

Post a Comment